Saturday, October 16, 2010

Adventures in Subbing

If you didn't know already, I finally got a job! I am so thankful! 
I am subbing in the Cherry Creek School District. From what I have seen just in passing many of the schools around our apartment and different parts of Denver, this is exactly where I would want to be. The schools are very nice and many of them look brand new. Everyone I have met so far has been very kind and helpful. I am trying to make lots of contacts in case a good opportunity comes along in the schools I am subbing for. I had training last Wednesday and found subbing jobs for Thursday and Friday right away. Here is an excerpt from a message I sent to my dear friend Caroline Bumpus


Yesterday (Thursday) a child asked me if I was from Germany because of my accent...I responded - No, I'm just from Tennessee. You probably don't hear much of that. 
Today (Friday) I said "y'all" more times than I'd like to admit to my middle schoolers. They thought I was from Texas. I continued to tell them I was not from Texas. I had to send two boys to the deans office. 
Middle schoolers smell like Taco Bell and onions. Or at least lunch time in the halls smelled like Taco Bell today. It was weird.
There are redneck kids even in Denver I suppose because I have seen some weird mullet mohawks and one kid had a buzz cut with one very small unfortunately placed patch of braided hair on the left side of his head. It was bizarre. I had to tell myself to stop staring at it when he was talking to me.
I still stand by my observation (Junior Impact 2008) in saying that middle schoolers think they have to RUN everywhere. It's amazing. I should observe it more and then do interviews on why they think it is so necessary. It made me laugh, but I had to tell them to stop. It was my job.


I feel certain that there will be many more interesting stories from my subbing experience. I am glad to be back in schools and learning new things everyday. It is nice to see that I am still passionate about teaching. 

No comments:

Post a Comment